Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Now going into the 20th week!

At the end of this week, I'll be at the halfway point! Well, halfway for people who get to go through full term and are lucky enough to have a natural childbirth rather than having to have a c-section a couple weeks before that. C-section I do not want. Healthy baby and to live through delivery okay I do.

The baby thumps are both fun and nauseating. Night before last I felt a bump from the outside of my abdomen! It's weird to look down at my still relatively-flat tummy and to think that there's a baby that's somewhere around 6" crown to rump in their. It's also a creepy thought in a way. There's a human being inside of me! Creepy as well as cool. As long as it doesn't start drawing shapes through my abdominal wall before bursting out like that one movie with the alien coming out of some lady.

Cody's been reading the What To Expect e-mail newsletters (yes, he reads these things as just one of his ways to be involved and keep up with what's going on, which I appreciate so much), and the development newsletter on Monday showed what a baby at this stage looks like, and he said to me, "It looks like a human now!" It's so sweet what he does - he often has his hand on my tummy to be closer to the baby, and is reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the baby (and me). Who knows how much, if anything, the baby can detect, but the love radiating from him to the baby sure matters. Possibly the baby can hear his voice when reading, so hopefully the baby will get the chance to learn his voice to pick him out later.



Baby's digestive system is busy creating meconium (a tarry black substance made of swallowed amniotic fluid, digestive secretion and dead cells), which will fill the first diaper after birth. And, speaking of the diaper situation... baby's genitals are now fully formed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.