Friday, December 11, 2009

The first week

Latching issues aside, Charlotte's been a dream of a baby. She doesn't cry often at all. When she needs to eat, she makes this cute cooing sound and puckers her lips, moving her tongue in and out. As long as she gets fed within a minute and a half or so, there's no crying. Now when she's got gas bubbles, she gets fussy and cries a little then. But even at night, she will grab at me with her hands and make that smacky sound, which wakes me up and she eats. Yes, she sleeps with us.

The first three says were spent with me in bed.

On the 6th, she met my aunt Sandy and one of Sandy's friends. I hadn't seen Sandy in years, so this was especially nice.

On the 7th, it was Daddy's birthday, and the 8th was mine. I made roasted chicken on Cod's birthday and his mom came over. On my birthday, he made pot roast. Our midwife also came over and we had a lovely visit. I absolutely adore Karni.

On the 9th she went to see Santa and got a picture. It was her first time outside, and she was wonderful!

Yesterday she spent the day in the out-patient surgery department while her dad had his tonsils taken out. We were waiting with him for him to be wheeled back, and it was harder for me than for him. I'm not used to being on this end, waiting for a loved one to be taken into surgery. Knowing he was going to be hurting afterward was hard for me. Afterward, his throat started bleeding a good bit more than it should have, and he was nauseated enough to need a cocktail of anti-nausea drugs. By the time I got to see him, several hours later than expected, he was very ashen, paler than I am, with blue lips. They said he was actually doing a lot better than he was. It breaks my heart seeing him like this. With the surgeries I've had, this would be a walk in the park, and I'd gladly be in his place if it could keep him from having to hurt like this (but that's impossible, plus mine came out when I was 8).

The dogs have been very good girls. They're so protective and check on "their baby" several times a day. If Charlotte makes a sound that isn't so happy, Emma will give this throaty growl and cock her head as if telling me to take proper care of the baby! They also both have a tendency to sit guard over her. If you want into our bedroom when she's in here, they'll be sitting in the doorway like little protectors.

Daddy's changed diapers!! He's changed every single once except for three. The first time he asked me why I didn't get him up to change her. The second two times were today. Oh how I hate having to use disposables right now, but she's too little still to fit her Bum Genuinses. Among other things, the chemicals in the diaper absorb so completely that it can be hard telling if she's wet or not. So I decided to change her, even if it doesn't look/feel like she needs it. Sometimes when her diaper is off, the weight indicates that she did indeed pee. Cloth will make it so much easier.

It's been a busy week, but I think we're doing very well, all in all. Despite being new parents, we still have the time to actually cook (Charlotte sleeping so well at night, waking me up usually just once, helps this) and clean and do whatever we need to do, plus the critters aren't neglected. I'm pretty proud of us, really. We've managed to hold it together very well. Baby care and all that's new seems so natural to us. I do think this has something to do with our old-fashioned mindset of "You've gotta do what you gotta do, quit making excuses and just do it."

I am so very happy!! This doesn't seem like it can be my life. But it is!

4 comments:

  1. Glad that everything is going well for both of you except for the surgery. Of course since he did have it now he gets to stay home with the two of you so that is probably a plus these first weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's on Paid Family Leave, and doesn't go back until the day after Christmas! Charlotte was born the perfect day for her daddy to have pretty much the entire holiday season off. We also scheduled the surgery hoping it would fall during this time off so he can recoup at home.

    Being parents is such a joy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Congratulations, I'm thrilled that you're doing so well (I've been lurking, and worrying). Poor Cody, I had my tonsils out as an adult and honestly I think it was as bad as if not worse than my hysterectomy. It really is better to have that done as a kid...thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have it all figured out. Yay for cloth diapering! Don't worry too much about the disposables, with all that breastmilk that she is getting, she will grow and fit into the cloth diapers really soon.

    P.S. Would love to see more pictures of her. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.