Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Ha!

Movement under way in California to ban divorce

The effort is meant to be a satirical statement after California voters outlawed gay marriage in 2008, largely on the argument that a ban is needed to protect the sanctity of traditional marriage. If that's the case, then Marcotte reasons voters should have no problem banning divorce.

"Since California has decided to protect traditional marriage, I think it would be hypocritical of us not to sacrifice some of our own rights to protect traditional marriage even more," the 38-year-old married father of two said.


And it's true. It's just as absurd to ban divorce as it is to ban gay marriage. I'd gladly sign this petition. Equal is equal. If the voters are all about "protecting" traditional marriage, then this seems like another way to help do it, right?

I remember years back, some politician in Washington State, I believe it was, said the purpose of marriage is children, which is why gays shouldn't marry. I chewed off the ear of anyone who'd listen that I guess that means that infertile straight people should also be banned from marriage unless they can find a way to have a baby.

But of course, the government should really just keep the legal hell out of it altogether. If two consenting adults want to marry, it's not the government's place to say no, nor is it the voters' place.


Also I am exhausted. Luthien was a pain last night and kept trying to jump all over the bed. I know she was just trying to be protective of me, but I kind of need sleep to eventually push this little human out of me! I'm tired, but don't want to sleep. Want to eat salad, but too tired to eat. Too hungry to sleep, to sleepy to eat.

1 comment:

  1. Oh honey, it won't be long now. *hugs*

    I remember my dog was very protective of me when I was pregnant, it was kinda nice. She was also really good with the baby when he was born too, maybe Luthien will be the same wasy? BTW, love the name.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.