Sunday, April 11, 2010

Charlotte's First Easter

Internet went bye-bye for a week. I don't think I've gone into how the state franchise tax board has been screwing with us. but long story short, we're still owed a refund for 2007, and the state decided to clam to not have gotten the 2007 return and have been garnishing 25% of Cody's pay for it. The return was sent in September 2008, and was resent twice this year, and still they claim they didn't get it. We got a letter March 18th saying the garnishment will stop, and Apple got a letter dated the same to start the garnishment over April 16th. We've been fighting this hard. A simply 1040EZ (without deductions) for 2007 results in a refund, and there were a few small write-offs. Between the 2007 refund owed, the money the state has garnished that the tax advocate says we'll get back at some point, the IOU for 2008's refund, and last year's refund that we're waiting on, the state owes us enough money to pay for our wedding in full.

But in the meantime, losing 25% of his income has put us behind on utilities, and so cable/internet was shut off for a week. We're barely keeping above water, but we are. Dress commissions I have are making the difference, especially the wedding gown I'm working on right now.

ANYWAY. Charlotte's first Easter! We dyed eggs the night before, and I waited for Cody to go to bed to "hide" all of them in plain sight. Then I, I mean, the Easter bunny, set out a giant basket of candy and junk for us adults, and a basket of handcrafted, natural, organic Montessori toys for Charlotte. Cody and Charlotte woke up and Charlotte "found" her first egg by being set in front of one and flailing around until she touched it. :) After Cody gathered all the eggs with Charlotte, we got a call that our dogs were out of the yard. Those people didn't hold on to them, so out we ran looking for them, and a man on a bike saw them and rounded them up for us. We got them home, put them in the yard, made double sure the fence was closed, and they got out again. We found out part of the fence the landlords use to get into the back yard was left broken the last time they were here. I wish those idiots would call ahead instead of just showing up like they have a tendency to do. I wish they'd stop using the garage here as storage. Anyway, the fence isn't an easy fix, so the girls would have to stay with us all day.

Dressed Charlotte and ourselves, headed over to her grandma's, then to her grandpa's. I'm just not comfortable in groups of people anymore, whether or not I know the, less so if I don't. This was a group of people I didn't know. Cody's dad and his girlfriend are buying a house together, and all of Doug's kids/grandkids are Cody and Charlotte. Joann's family is a bit larger, something like 14 people. So I felt out numbered kind of like was intruding on her family. No one said anything to make me feel this way. It's just that they all were so clearly familiar with each other and knew each other and I didn't know anyone but Cody, Charlotte, Doug, and I'd met Joann once before. Poor Charlotte was a bit confused. On of Joann's daughters has a baby a few months older than Charlotte who was getting so much more attention than Charlotte, and my poor baby was looking around like, "Why am I being overlooked?" It was sad. She was smaller than Eloise, and couldn't sit up on her own as well as Eloise, and just looked like an underdog. My normally outgoing daughter started to seem shy and self-conscious. I admit I was glad to leave.

We headed back to Cody's mom's house, which went from being a few people when we were there in the morning to a zoo with tons of people. I was at least more familiar with that house, and was within walking distance of ours, so was okay.

It was busy and cold and, despite feeling out of place at Doug and Joann's, it was a pretty good day.

Also, what's Easter without the Easter bunny? The night before we had to take Charlotte to see the Easter bunny. She was Cranky McFussybritches more of the day, and started shrieking about three seconds, if that long, after this picture. (That's one of her dresses I made. Later on I made a matching head bow that she wore the next day. For this picture, we just tied a ribbon around her head.)

I've also been sick. It sucks waking up hacking up half a lung and thick greenish mucus. Once I get it up, I'm pretty much okay the rest of the day.

Friday was a really good day. I packed lunch, put Charlotte in the stroller, and spent much of the day wandering around this small beach town. I found a fantastic fabric store, an upscale consignment store, and some wonderful vintage stores. I didn't even get halfway down the main road, what with all the awesome shops and all! Then I got home and made 6 layer cakes about 3" small. My idea of a pretty good day!! I want to go strolling today, but it's overcast and supposed to rain, so indoors for me! Sewing can't happen right now with Charlotte being so clingy today. When her daddy gets home, I'll disappear into my sewing room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.