Sunday, October 9, 2011

I accidentally broke Charlotte's finger :(

Literally. Two nights ago I was closing the bathroom door and she was behind me, and then she suddenly stuck her hand in between the door and the jam...the side with the hinges. It happened so fast I didn't have time to process her having moved. Suddenly there was a sickening crunch as the door closed and her fingers were in the door. I'm feeling nauseated remembering it. She started screaming and I opened the door, quick as a flash. She was shaking and her left ring finger knuckle was crushed only about 1/8" thick. I couldn't think if I should run to the front desk and have them call 911 or if I should grab my phone, which I though would be faster, and which I did, and called 911 and kept screaming to get an ambulance there. I didn't know where the ER was, and was scared to death that her knuckle was shattered. I don't care that an ambulance seems like an overreaction, but I didn't know where to go, and wasn't going to waste time figuring it out while shaking myself (not safe for someone freaking out to be driving), and knew she needed to see a doctor to make sure it wasn't a shattered or separated joint. In the end, it finger bone at the tip of her finger is fractured and she's going to lose the finger nail. I know accidents happen, but I felt like shit, and still do, like a very bad mommy for not making sure she was far from the door, or for not closing it slowly.

Since then, I'm terrified to close doors unless I'm holding her or she's on the other side of the room. She's able to use the finger, though it's a bit sensitive to pressure.

I'll just make this its own post so I can forget it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.